[linux-elitists] PJ takes her victory lap

Karsten M. Self karsten at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 1 15:02:34 PDT 2011

on Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 02:16:24PM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Rick Moen quotation of Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 05:17:02PM -0700:
> > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20110830170454743
> >
> >   'It's that time. I wrote years ago I'd go to SCO's funeral in a red
> >   dress, and here we are.'
> >                             -- Pamela Jones (JPEG provided)
> >
> > (Thank you, J.D. 'Illiad' Frazer.)
> >
> > Droll tidbits include the revelation that Maureen O'Gara's company is
> > a SCO creditor.  Good luck with that, Maureen!
>
> Does this mean that the Red Hat v. SCO case can
> finally go forward?  Not that there's any money left,
> but it might be interesting for RHT's lawyers to
> depose some of the people who decided to bankroll
> the whole SCO attack back in 2003.

Who exactly is left standing who played a part?

SCO are dead.

There's Sun, now part of Oracle.  RH might enjoy embarassing Oracle a
bit....

There's certainly Microsoft.

There's BayStar Investments:

    http://techrights.org/2011/03/03/rogue-ipr-games/

Rob Enderle and Maureen O'Gara.

    http://beta.investorvillage.com/mbthread.asp?mb=1911&tid=9949090&showall=1

That hinky Salt Lake tech analyst cum reporter,
David Politis:

    https://lwn.net/Articles/34925/

His former site pages are gone:

    http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2003-July/006783.html
    http://www.politis.com/  (the whole site's dead)

Laura DiDio and the Yankee Group (though I believe she left them).
Currently with ITIC?  Or more likely _is_ ITIC.

Daniel Lyons publicly recanted his initial support for SCO.

Other than Microsoft and Oracle, mostly small fry.

Lawsuits cost.  It'd be fun to watch, and IBM & RH have pursued this
quite a ways.  It would be interesting for them to pursue a
scorched-earth policy, though I don't know if the business case is
compelling or not.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten at linuxmafia.com>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten
 What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?