[linux-elitists] Request for Comments: How to Deal with Internet Trolls - the Cognitive Therapy approach

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sat Mar 5 22:07:19 PST 2011

Hi Don,

On Saturday 05 Mar 2011 17:53:06 Don Marti wrote:
> begin Shlomi Fish quotation of Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 12:39:32PM +0200:
> > > Anyway, if you want to present an alternative to
> > > "do not feed the troll" you might want to mention
> > > that the most effective troll non-feeding system
> > > includes filtration.
> >
> > What do you mean by that?
>
>   http://xkcd.com/386/

Heh, I forgot all about that comic. Other related resources in this theme are:

* http://xkcd.com/406/

* http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/shlomif-fav.html#sharp-moose-
someone-is-wrong

(short URL - http://xrl.us/bikt29 )

* http://comics.com/working_daze/2007-09-18/ (may require registration.).

> If you never saw the troll in the first place, you're
> never annoyed and/or tempted to reply.  (Sometimes
> when reading other Linux fora, I see long, correct
> answers to troll questions and can't help thinking,
> "dude, your killfile is too short.")

Yes, the problem is that other people will see this message, including many
people who are innocent, not very experienced and/or trying to get help. I
agree that you should always use reason when dealing with trolls and what I
said were just guidelines, instead of rules set in stone, but I've noticed
that you can give a short defensive/inquisitive reply to a troll, and they
will leave you alone forever.

But I think that letting trolls run berserk on a forum, by using a killfile
will reduce the SNR of the forum. I'd rather be aware of people who say stuff
that annoys other people and me, than ignore them and let other people get
annoyed. But I'll be happy to hear what you think about it.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish