[linux-elitists] Request for Comments: How to Deal with Internet Trolls - the Cognitive Therapy approach

Karsten M. Self karsten at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 4 18:35:08 PST 2011

on Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 05:38:34PM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Jason White quotation of Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 11:17:48PM +0000:
>
> > It is also an interesting question, to which I don't know the answer, of
> > whether therapeutic strategies intended to be effective in cases of mood
> > disorders are likely to work in an online environment in relation to trolls.
>
> The troll is probably playing a different game from the one you're
> playing.  You might be trying to pick the right software for your next
> web project.  But the troll is trying to provoke people into arguing,
> for lulz.

Or is getting paid for it.  "50 Cent Party" in China, astroturfers in
the US:

    http://www.alternet.org/media/149197/are_right-wing_libertarian_internet_trolls_getting_paid_to_dumb_down_online_conversations/?page=1

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten at linuxmafia.com>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten
 What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?