[linux-elitists] Request for Comments: How to Deal with Internet Trolls - the Cognitive Therapy approach

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Mar 4 17:38:34 PST 2011

begin Jason White quotation of Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 11:17:48PM +0000:

> It is also an interesting question, to which I don't know the answer, of
> whether therapeutic strategies intended to be effective in cases of mood
> disorders are likely to work in an online environment in relation to trolls.

The troll is probably playing a different game from
the one you're playing.  You might be trying to
pick the right software for your next web project.
But the troll is trying to provoke people into
arguing, for lulz.

The reason for barriers to participation in an online
forum is not so much to keep out the trolls, who are
probably advanced users of the medium, but to keep
out potential troll-feeders.

I'd actually like to see more trolling on l-e --
there's probably a healthy level, like there's a
healthy level of bacteria in the environment for
building children's immune systems.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/