[linux-elitists] kill files (was Re: Request for Comments: How to Deal with Internet Trolls - the Cognitive Therapy approach)

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Mar 4 17:19:29 PST 2011

begin Jason White quotation of Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 12:17:43AM +0000:
> Don Marti  <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:
>
> >One key part of the "do not feed the troll" strategy
> >is the killfile.  You can make a troll, or someone you
> >consider a troll, disappear for you without moderating
> >the whole forum, or disturbing the whole forum with
> >a discussion about moderation policy.
>
> I have idly wondered, on occasion, how effective statistical filters such as
> CRM114 would be in distinguishing interesting from uninteresting posts.

I wouldn't bet against CRM114.  I once had a CRM114
install that would block not just spam, but off-topic
press releases.  Another time I got one trained to
predict whether a package would be in the top or
bottom half of Debian Popularity Contest results just
from the output of "apt-cache show".

You could probably also automate some of the thread
pattern recognition that Joey Hess uses:
  http://joey.kitenet.net/blog/entry/thread_patterns/

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/