[linux-elitists] RFC: Some Requests from the kernel.org Admins

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed Jul 13 08:58:22 PDT 2011

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:21:39 -0600
Jonathan Corbet <corbet at lwn.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:32:24 +0300
> Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org> wrote:
>
> > I've written this open letter and placed it in the temporary location of
> > http://www.shlomifish.org/lkml-letter-f6y9/ , and intend to publish it as an
> > http://www.advogato.org/ editorial. However, I decided to send it here
> > first in case there is a way to resolve the issues at hand here first.
> >
> > Any comments will be welcome.
>
> You're asking the kernel.org folks to do things that they just don't do.
> They don't champion specific kernel patches (or "assign developers" to
> anything), they don't maintain external wiki pages.  I doubt you'll find
> much joy that way.

Well, my intention in the letter was to show that I'd like to prevent damage to
the Linux kernel and to git, even if my @kernel.org E-mail ban is not lifted.
If someone (anyone) can take care of the patch, or maintain the information
about git in http://better-scm.berlios.de/ (which technically is not a wiki),
that would be better than the status quo.

There were a few previous discussions about including git in the better-scm
site:

* http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/66445

* http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/67708

I was unable to respond to any of them because my E-mail address was
blacklisted.

> It seems to me that you need to have a discussion with David Miller about
> being allowed back onto the mailing lists.  I do not speak for him in any
> way, but he is not an unreasonable person.  It has been a while; you may
> well be able to come to an understanding.  Somehow, though, I doubt you'll
> get there with a public editorial.

Well, I had already E-mailed Mr. Miller and a few other people (including
you) regarding that (while using a different phrasing than the one I posted
now.), and did not get a reply from anyone. I can try E-mailing him again
(possibly from a throwaway webmail address that is not yet blacklisted), but
it seemed that going public about it is my last resort. But maybe I am wrong.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish