[linux-elitists] Fwd: Re: Great recent Unix software

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Feb 17 08:52:44 PST 2011

Hi Ruben,

thanks for your E-mail.

On Thursday 17 Feb 2011 17:24:56 Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 09:00 PM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> >  B.A. in law,
>
> ????????????????

OK, I lost too much context. Please try to be more methodical next times - I
thought if you asked if I had a B.A. in law. Here's the more complete one:

[quote]
> I recall a time when someone sent a question to board at hamakor.org.il asking
> which licence to pick, and one of the board members (a qualified attorney
> in law) told her to use the GPL, which may not have been what she wanted.
> Previously, back when he studied for his B.A. in law, he had said he told
> me that someone asked him if he can apply modifications to a GPLed program
> (PHP/etc.) on the server to extend it, and that he thought he couldn't.
> However, I told him that one could deploy a GPLed program on a server and
> modify it as you please without needing to release the modifications as
> long as you keep it inhouse (that was well before the Affero GPL, and the
> GPL version 3 still allows it.).
[/quote]

In any case, in Israel one can become a qualified attorney with only a B.A. in
law, though you may need to pass a test and register here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Bar_Association

I'm not sure it may be a very good thing as opposed to .us where it is a
graduate degree, because it causes an unnecessary proliferation of lawyers,
which with the current state of the legal system is probably not good.
Recently, the payment of starting lawyers in various law offices in Israel
dropped a lot, most of them cannot hope to find a job, and even many beginning
programmers can expect to earn much. One of my fellow students back when I
studied for my Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering (EE) in the Technion has
graduated from Israeli Law school, and started studying for EE so he can
actually find a paying job.

Of course, I know that in Israel, one cannot really do anything with a B.A. in
Psychology (except get an M.A.) and when I asked a Biology bachelor's student
who attended a Tel Aviv Open Source club after-party supper (and the meeting
itself naturally) what can you do with a Bachelor's in Biology he said "Get a
Master's in Biology.". On the other hand, I was told that with my Bachelor's
degree in Electrical Engineering, and my registration at the Association of
Israeli Engineers, I am qualified enough to write software for missiles and to
vouch that it is working and bug-free. Though naturally, I will hesitate to
write it with the same rigour (or lack of it) as I write most open-source code
which does not aim to be as mission critical.[Sloppiness]

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

[Sloppiness] - I'm not a sloppy programmer and try to avoid most obvious bugs
in my code and I also write many automated tests and generally write tests for
bugs I run into, but people still find bugs in my code sometimes. According to
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/ we should aim to have
somewhat buggier code and imperfect releases for a faster release cycle.