[linux-elitists] Great recent Unix software

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Feb 14 13:09:59 PST 2011

Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org> writes:

> maildrop -- filter mail in arbitrary ways. This replaced procmail for
> me a few years ago.

I really want to love ‘sieve’ (any implementation, but GNU Sieve is the
obvious one).

But the chip implanted in my brain refuses to let me learn anything that
requires ugly camelCaseNames. Not even if it's an RFC.

> units -- unit conversion.

Definitely. It sounds quite trivial when one first hears about it, but
it becomes as indispensable as a calculator.

Maybe it would become less useful if the USA joined the rest of the
world in a sensible measurement system, but I don't see that happening
any time soon.

> lftp -- command-line FTP/HTTP client with mirroring and various other
> useful features.

How does one choose between ‘lftp’, ‘wget’, and ‘curl’?

--
 \        “If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you |
  `\     have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither |