[linux-elitists] Great recent Unix software

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Feb 14 11:56:55 PST 2011

begin Nathaniel Smith quotation of Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:32:34AM -0800:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org> wrote:
> > netcat -- connect pipelines to arbitrary sockets. (Although I've still
> > not trained my fingers out of using telnet for this...)
>
> I believe socat is the canonical modern tool for this purpose.
>
> The other new tool I find indispensible is also one I wrote -- 'xpra'.
> Basically screen for X programs. (I'm being a bad maintainer... need
> to get a release out! But it mostly Just Works, modulo keymap
> difficulties.)

If you want to include X tools, xsel is from 2001...
  http://www.vergenet.net/~conrad/software/xsel/#download
and the xautomation tools can be useful (I've only used xte)

I have also used Devil's Pie, but don't have it set
up anywhere currently.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/