[linux-elitists] Great recent Unix software

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Mon Feb 14 04:23:03 PST 2011

Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> writes:

> Can anyone suggest a new round of Unix software like this?

Most of these aren't that recent, of course...

strace -- absolutely invaluable for debugging configuration and
weird-behaviour problems.

sshfs -- mount remote filesystems using FUSE and ssh.

maildrop -- filter mail in arbitrary ways. This replaced procmail for me
a few years ago.

calc -- David I. Bell's superior bc replacement. (This isn't widely
packaged; I normally find myself using octave or python instead on
machines that don't have it.)

units -- unit conversion.

gnuplot -- generate various kinds of charts.

ecasound -- real-time audio processing: recording/playing back sound,
doing live effects, etc.

ffmpeg -- audio/video format conversion and processing. Handles pretty
much anything these days.

GraphicsMagick/netpbm -- image format conversion, processing and
compositing.

lftp -- command-line FTP/HTTP client with mirroring and various other
useful features.

netcat -- connect pipelines to arbitrary sockets. (Although I've still
not trained my fingers out of using telnet for this...)

rename (either from util-linux or perl) -- batch-rename files.

parallel -- like xargs, but scheduling across multiple cores and/or
multiple machines.

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>