[linux-elitists] Great recent Unix software

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun Feb 13 21:05:09 PST 2011

Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> writes:

> Other things I can't live without that were not around in the
> mid-1990's:
[…]
> 	- ack

$ aptitude show ack
Package: ack
State: not installed
Version: 1.39-12
 ACK is a highly versatile Kanji code checker/converter.  ACK can do
 reciprocal conversion among Japanese EUC, Shift-JIS and 7bit JIS. JIS
 Kata-kana(SJIS Han-kaku Kana) is also supported.  Kanji code can be
 automatically detected even if the input stream contains Kata-kana
 characters.  Besides, ACK can be used as a Kanji code checker with very
 high detection rate.

What have I missed?

--
 \      “Shepherds … look after their sheep so they can, first, fleece |
  `\   them and second, turn them into meat. That's much more like the |