[linux-elitists] Fw: [Foundation-l] How SOPA will hurt the free web and Wikipedia

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Dec 15 06:52:16 PST 2011

Top posting: While I appreciate being notified of SOPA and things
associated with it, but a personal appeal from Jay Walsh about a post on
Wikimedia... Please, I don't need any more of this kind message
assaulting me, more than it already is.

      * Yes, any Elitist worth their salt reads and discovers these
        kinds of things already and automagically (for some weird
        reason).
      * Yes, Jay Walsh has changed the way information is thought of,
        handled, derived, produced and improved.
      * Yes, I appreciate being kept updated on these kinds of things.
      * Yes, I already have an RSS aggregation mechanism that keeps me
        informed and updated on many subjects.
      * Yes, I already have News Alerts on certain topics like the TSA,
        DHS, Patriot Act, Software Patents, SOPA, PROTECT-IP and other
        things that impact me in my life and job or in the environment
        at my job (like the undead CALDERA/SCOg/WhateverItsCalledNow).
      * Yes, I am subscribed to many lists. Some have had this
        forwarded, also.
      * Yes, I already have to much to read.
      * Yes, I already get thousands of e-mails per day, so additional
        noise is just that. If its caught by a rule, I might look at it
        unless its a forward of something I've already received or know
        about.

Don't get me wrong, I am very glad others actually get, read and
(hopefully) comprehend the danger of these kinds proceedings. Forwarding
this message to Linux Elitists is very similar to a Preacher telling a
sermon about how "$DEITY can change your life!" to the Choir behind the
Preacher. Kind of a moot point, that, preaching to the choir.

Cheers and Blessings! <GRIN>

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 09:00 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:48:18 -0800
> From: Jay Walsh <jwalsh at wikimedia.org>
> Subject: [Foundation-l] How SOPA will hurt the free web and Wikipedia
>

> Today the Wikimedia Foundation posted an important update on how the Stop
> Online Piracy Act (SOPA) legislation being considered in DC this week
> threatens an open and free web, and particularly how it threatens Wikipedia.
[SNIP]

greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar."
    -- Helen Keller