[linux-elitists] memex on a stick?

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Thu Sep 23 11:13:13 PDT 2010

* rubinson at u.arizona.edu [2010-09-23 Thu 18:59]
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 09:38:16AM +0100, David Edmondson wrote:
>> Persisting copies of web-pages is not something that I've tried, though
>> it feels useful and would presumable be done through the attachment
>> mechanism.
>
> For persistent copies of webpages, I've found nothing to be simpler
> than Zotero, previously mentioned.  My main beef with Zotero is that
> they reimplement the text area to permit HTML formatting with the
> result that I can no longer call out to Emacs for my text editor.

Zotero looks very cool. Unfortunately it seems to persist my data in a
cloud service somewhere out of my control, though I've not spent time
playing with it to see if this can be avoided. That pretty much rules it
out for me because of two main objections:
  - I want my data on my own computers, not held by someone that I don't
    really know (and hence can't trust),
  - Some of the data may belong to my employer - I can't hand it over to
    a third party.

dme.
--
David Edmondson, http://dme.org