[linux-elitists] VCSs/DVCSs [Re: memex on a stick?]

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Tue Sep 21 10:31:12 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 17:01, Ben Finney
<bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> writes:
>
>> begin Tony Godshall quotation of Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:02:49AM -0700:
>>
>> > If you are going off on a "which DVCS is better" topic […]
>
> The question was why one particular VCS was being specified, and whether
> a whole class of existing tools could do the job.
>
>> "Which DVCS is better" is always on topic […]
>
> So is there anything about one particular VCS that recommends it to this
> job? Or can any of the big three DVCSen[0] do the job?
>

> It should go without saying, but apparently not: I'm perfectly
> comfortable in my capacity to select a VCS tool without needing to
> poo-pooh others. I ask “why that one for this job, why not the others?”
> because I want to know the answer, not as some kind of rhetorical
> passive-aggressive device.
>

> [0] I find the “XYZen” plural useful when the initialism ends with an
>    “S”. Certainly “DVCSen” reads better to me than “DVCSs”.

All I was asking was to not hijack the thread- change the subject if
you want to discuss that.

I'm interested in the original topic- implementing a memex in Linux as
a way to deal with one's collection of notes and items...  and don't
want to see this thread head that way...

Tony