[linux-elitists] memex on a stick?

Chris Ball chris at printf.net
Mon Sep 20 21:32:02 PDT 2010

Hi Ben,

   > Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> writes:
   >> Git looks very promising as the "plumbing" of a memex

   > Why Git in particular? What prevents any of the big three DVCSen
   > (Git, Bazaar, Mercurial) from doing the job in your opinion?

I think I've had something like this argument with you before :), but
I think the answer to your question is related to your "big three"
nomenclature being a bit weasel-wordy.

If we trust Ohloh¹ to tell us something about the use of a given VCS
across a representative sample of repositories, the distribution is:

Bzr   4%
Hg    9%
Git  87%

Now that we know that the big three aren't in anywhere near equal
use, I think it's pretty clear why someone would default towards Git
without much hesitation.  No-one² likes to learn n different tools
for a job that's adequately solved by 1 of them.

- Chris.

¹: http://www.ohloh.net/repositories/compare
²: Okay, *approximately* no-one.
--