[linux-elitists] memex on a stick?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 20 17:01:59 PDT 2010

Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> writes:

> begin Tony Godshall quotation of Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:02:49AM -0700:
>
> > If you are going off on a "which DVCS is better" topic […]

The question was why one particular VCS was being specified, and whether
a whole class of existing tools could do the job.

> "Which DVCS is better" is always on topic […]

So is there anything about one particular VCS that recommends it to this
job? Or can any of the big three DVCSen[0] do the job?

It should go without saying, but apparently not: I'm perfectly
comfortable in my capacity to select a VCS tool without needing to
poo-pooh others. I ask “why that one for this job, why not the others?”
because I want to know the answer, not as some kind of rhetorical
passive-aggressive device.

[0] I find the “XYZen” plural useful when the initialism ends with an
    “S”. Certainly “DVCSen” reads better to me than “DVCSs”.

--
 \        “The restriction of knowledge to an elite group destroys the |
  `\                   spirit of society and leads to its intellectual |