[linux-elitists] memex on a stick?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Sep 20 10:14:52 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:
> It's a repository for documents and notes, under user
> control.  Instead of thinking, "oh, I read that on the
> Internet somewhere, let me go back out and get it,"
> you think, "I read that in connnection with a certain
> project, so I'll look at my project notes and get it
> and related documents."

While it doesn't use VCS or anything, Zotero wants to be what you're describing:
 http://www.zotero.org/
It's oriented around traditional academic-style research, but I don't
see how it'd be limited to that (it'll happily stash arbitrary web
pages in its data store), and it has all that capture, tagging,
annotating, full-text search goodness.

-- Nathaniel