[linux-elitists] memex on a stick?

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Sep 19 09:59:06 PDT 2010

begin Tony Godshall quotation of Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 09:20:04AM -0700:

> So is not a linux distro with git installed not a memex?  Or does it
> need "...a desk, where on top are slanting translucent screens on
> which material can be projected for convenient reading..."... I
> certainly don't have slanting translucent screens.

Git looks very promising as the "plumbing" of a
memex, but on tip of that, in order to make it a
proper memex you need some way of tagging items as
relevant to a particular project.  So if you have a
PDF of someone's doctoral dissertation, and page 139
explains an algorithm that you want to use to merge
two XML files, and that's relevant to a wishlist bug,
you want to be able to mark it up.

> If you are looking for a private search engine to search through all
> your accumulated stuff, you might look at lucene-solr-tika if you like
> Java (at apache.org) or Whoosh (python) or if you don't mind a
> proprietary app, google desktop.  I think Beagle was supposed to do
> desktop searching but it was in Ubuntu and never clear how to be used
> and now it's out again.

Woosh looks good -- it has Wordnet support for doing
synonyms, which is pretty groovy.
  http://packages.python.org/Whoosh/api/lang/wordnet.html#module-whoosh.lang.wordnet

There's also Tracker for desktop search, which may
be good enough, and already installed on more systems:
  http://projects.gnome.org/tracker/development.html

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/