[linux-elitists] memex on a stick?

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Sun Sep 19 09:20:04 PDT 2010

> Anybody got a memex?
>
> It seems that you could use a DVCS, tagging (as with
> git-tag) and one of the up-and-coming local search
> systems to make a pretty good memex.  I don't have a
> memex. I have a messy pile of downloaded web stuff and
> PDFs that I would like to feed into a memex, though.
>
> Most of this is stuff that I can't just dump
> into a public site, and let the free-range search
> engines index it, because I don't have permission
> to redistribute.

Memex?

Duckduckgo says...

" Memex
The memex is the name given by Vannevar Bush to the theoretical
proto-hypertext computer system he proposed in his 1945 The Atlantic
Monthly article As We May Think. More at "Wikipedia"
Memex Technology Limited - Memex Technology Limited is a Scottish
software company delivering mission-critical information systems and
services for the Law Enforcement and Security markets.
Andries van Dam - Andries "Andy" van Dam is a Dutch-born American
professor of computer science and former Vice-President for Research
at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island."

I assume you mean the first...
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Memex ... "a device in
which an individual compresses and stores all of their books, records,
and communications which is then mechanized so that it may be
consulted with exceeding speed and flexibility"

So is not a linux distro with git installed not a memex?  Or does it
need "...a desk, where on top are slanting translucent screens on
which material can be projected for convenient reading..."... I
certainly don't have slanting translucent screens.

If you are looking for a private search engine to search through all
your accumulated stuff, you might look at lucene-solr-tika if you like
Java (at apache.org) or Whoosh (python) or if you don't mind a
proprietary app, google desktop.  I think Beagle was supposed to do
desktop searching but it was in Ubuntu and never clear how to be used
and now it's out again.

Best Regards.