[linux-elitists] A better cron: large production environments

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon May 10 12:12:57 PDT 2010

begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Fri, May 07, 2010 at 07:57:22PM -0700:

> This makes migrating numerous legacy scripts fairly transperant -- we're
> adding one layer of infrastructure, but it's pretty light.

Handling concurrency is getting to be important for
things like this.

If you have a multicore system and your cron jobs do
a lot of network activity, it would be good to run a
sensible number at once.  I have run into the dreaded
cron job still running when it's time for it to run
again problem.

(Is "load average" still even meaningful on a modern
Linux system?)

Random idea: have you thought about having cron
submit tasks to Gearman, and letting Gearman do the
record-keeping?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/