[linux-elitists] A better cron: large production environments

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Jun 20 10:42:09 PDT 2010

begin Aaron Burt quotation of Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:38:40AM -0700:
> (Resurrecting old thread...)
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 05:09:22PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > I'm kicking ideas around for a better cron system (or framework for the
> > existing system) which might help address some of the shortcomings of
> > cron as are being experienced now, particularly in notification and
> > messaging.
>
> Karsten's description downthread matches mine pretty closely, but I'd like
> to add a central daemon that monitors what jobs were supposed to happen,
> and alerts you when they didn't.

Here's an interesting article on using cron to submit
Gearman jobs:
  http://tokutek.com/2009/10/using_gearman_for_nightly_build_and_test/

Gearman looks simple and well-tested enough to be a
solid basis for this kind of thing.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/