[linux-elitists] A better cron: large production environments

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Jun 17 10:38:40 PDT 2010

(Resurrecting old thread...)
On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 05:09:22PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'm kicking ideas around for a better cron system (or framework for the
> existing system) which might help address some of the shortcomings of
> cron as are being experienced now, particularly in notification and
> messaging.

Karsten's description downthread matches mine pretty closely, but I'd like
to add a central daemon that monitors what jobs were supposed to happen,
and alerts you when they didn't.  I would also like a shiny, lickable
web-report that shows a grid (think TV schedule) of which jobs are usually
running when, to help in scheduling.

Does any of this exist or should I get to coding?  I suspect the central
monitoring could be accomplished using some sort of Nagios passive-check
trickery or Mon madness, but I'd like to add auto-discovery.

Back to the PCI-Compliance grind,
  Aaron