[linux-elitists] notmuch

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Feb 18 08:38:27 PST 2010

Hi,

   > http://notmuchmail.org/

The indexing works very well, but the (emacs-based) UI is too bare for
me -- I think it would make more sense to use it as a gnus backend so
that all the standard gnus mail support still worked, as Tassilo Horn
describes doing in this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/c87cf38bc84a183b?pli=1

If it were up to me, this effort would probably have been spent on
the gnus nnmairix backend, which is extremely similar to notmuch's
featureset already -- someone in the thread linked above reports that
mairix is much faster at search, too.  Reimplementing both ideas from
scratch seems to have been unjustified from the perspective of the
library of mail software we already had, in my opinion.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child