[linux-elitists] nmcli and NetworkManager configuration

Gary Sandine gars at laclinux.com
Sun Aug 29 11:20:54 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 01:30:45PM +1000, Jason White wrote:
> Are there any alternative projects that I should look at?
>
> The main use cases at the moment are, for example, switching
> between multiple network profiles with different IPv4/IPv6
> configurations; setting up wireless (including WPA2) networking
> quickly on a laptop, etc. I could write shell scripts, of course,
> but I'd rather work with daemons and tools designed for the
> purpose than to reinvent what others are devoting significant
> development effort to create.

I recently set up an openbox-based desktop system and found wicd a
bit more pleasant to deal with at a command line (I don't know about
using it for managing IPv6 though):

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

$ apt-cache search wicd
python-wicd - wired and wireless network manager - Python module
wicd - wired and wireless network manager - metapackage
wicd-cli - wired and wireless network manager - scriptable cli client
wicd-curses - wired and wireless network manager - Curses client
wicd-daemon - wired and wireless network manager - daemon
wicd-gtk - wired and wireless network manager - GTK+ client

Regards,
--
Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>