[linux-elitists] xrandr and remembering where the monitor is

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Apr 15 08:30:36 PDT 2010

Under Fedora 12, when I plug in an external monitor
to a laptop, it just starts up, but I have to do:

  xrandr --output VGA1 --above LVDS1

to put it where I want it.  The X configuration
doesn't seem to remember where I want the monitor.
(I know, I know, I used to walk five miles to school,
flip DIP switches, and edit X configuration by hand
like the rest of you, and this whole no-editing,
display just comes up thing is pretty sweet.  But I
do want the monitor to stay where I put it.)

What I'm looking for is some kind of a hook shell
script that runs when the monitor gets plugged in,
but that's too old school and there's probably a
gnome-remember-where-your-monitor-is daemon that I
should be talking to.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org