[linux-elitists] email elitims

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sat Sep 19 06:59:41 PDT 2009

Teh Entar-Nick <nick at teh.entar.net> writes:

> Everyone I know who's tried sup says that it works just fine so long
> as you only have about a hundred mails. Also it does not provide
> features for moving mails from one folder to another, believing that
> you should just tag mails for searches. Performance suffers as you
> would expect, since you cannot move mails out of an overfull
> mbox/maildir.

Since Sup also allows aggregation across arbitrarily many mailboxes,
perhaps the solution then is to have an MDA automatically deliver
messages to date-separated (e.g. by year, or month, etc. as appropriate
to traffic level) mailboxes instead of a single one, and aggregate them
all transparently with Sup.

That requires setting up one's MDA to properly limit the size of one's
mailboxes, of course. Not a problem for true email elitists.

Not having used Sup in anger (and herewith disclosing that I still deal
with overfull mailboxes by manually rearranging the messages; Sieve is
in my to-do list), I've no idea how well that would actually address the
reported problems; but it seems a correct approach to the problem in
theory.

--
 \      “Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a |
  `\        finite world is either a madman or an economist.” —Kenneth |