[linux-elitists] email elitims

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Sep 18 05:44:48 PDT 2009

I'm seeing a serious problem arising in the last 1-2 years
which I don't know how to address. Perhaps y'all can advise.

I'm sure most of you are dealing with a surge in naive
or recalcitrant email users, which use top-posting, excessive
citation, HTML-only posts, or all of the above.

I've made the repeated observation is that manual communication
with offenders is not cost effective, and the conversion rate
is negligible even if maximal politeness and care are applied.

There are three choices, giving up email, use wrappers which
hide the brain damage, or automate user education (some of
them sur ecould use a good LARTing).

I was thinking about denying HTML-only at MTA level (postfix,
can't get it to work yet, how do you do it?), detect excessive
citations or top-posting with procmail recipes [1] (which are you
using for this?) and either send an automated response or silently
rewrite the message. I presume I would have to use the threaded
view in mutt (apropos mutt, are you sticking to it, or have you
actively migrated from it in the last few years? To what?), and
perhaps fold the citation (what do you use in vim for that? emacs?).

These were a lot of questions, I know.

Thanks.

[1] e.g. http://pm-doc.sourceforge.net/pm-tips.html#excessive_quoting_of_message