[linux-elitists] fixing a corrupted mbox

Karsten M. Self karsten at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 26 12:05:08 PDT 2009

on Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:18:16AM -0600, Sam Noble (sam at thepromisedlan.org) wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 17:30 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > I doubt I'm the only one with this problem. How do you fix this,
>
> On a large mbox mailserver I used to help admin, users would regularly
> corrupt their inboxes, and the standard cure was to run a little perl
> script that mail admin had dragged with him from a previous job.
>
> One day I took a look at the script and was surprised to discover that
> aside from locking the queue and making a backup, it basically just ran
> this:
> $formail -ds <mbox>
> (/usr/bin/formail being included with the procmail package on that
> server.)
> So that's probably worth a try.

Formail is indeed a wonderful tool for doing various sorts of mail
majick.

I'll toss in yet another vote for maildir, though my current folders are
all <5k items.  ISTR going to 20-50k without issues.  Beyond that level,
I'd start some sort of archival scheme, with a quarterly or semi-annual
schema generally working best for me.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten at linuxmafia.com>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten
 What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?