[linux-elitists] fixing a corrupted mbox

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Mon Oct 26 10:18:16 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 17:30 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I doubt I'm the only one with this problem. How do you fix this,

On a large mbox mailserver I used to help admin, users would regularly
corrupt their inboxes, and the standard cure was to run a little perl
script that mail admin had dragged with him from a previous job.

One day I took a look at the script and was surprised to discover that
aside from locking the queue and making a backup, it basically just ran
this:
$formail -ds <mbox>
(/usr/bin/formail being included with the procmail package on that
server.)
So that's probably worth a try.

> and how do you prevent this from reoccurring? I presume maildir is
> a solution,

That's what happened there.

Good luck,
sam