[linux-elitists] fixing a corrupted mbox

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Mon Oct 26 09:39:10 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 05:30:15PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I doubt I'm the only one with this problem. How do you fix this,
> and how do you prevent this from reoccurring? I presume maildir is
> a solution, though presumably on a 2 GByte mailbox it may more to
> be a problem.

Maildir doesn't care how big your mailbox is, it cares how many messages are
in it as you know.
I have a few maildirs in the 50,000 - 100,000 range and it's a bit
borderline (you have to turn on header caching and be careful what headers
you scan for coloring), but it works much more reliably than mbox.
Of course in my case I use offlineimap which requires maildir anyway.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/