[linux-elitists] Ten years later...

Karsten M. Self karsten at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 27 16:04:22 PDT 2009

on Wed, May 27, 2009 at 09:09:07AM -0700, Marc MERLIN (marc at merlins.org) wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 07:02:33PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> > Well, we just passed the 10th anniversary of the first
> > LinuxWorld (hey, kids!  Original 1999 mail piece!
> >
> >   http://planet.opensourceworld.com/1999/
>
> For those who like nostalgia, you might enjoy my old report of the show:
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_winter99/
>
> Johathan, already giving talks (sorry for the bad picture):
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_winter99/Day1/Tutorials/NetAdmin.html
>
> Remember Corel and winelib?
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_winter99/Day2/Keynotes/Corel.html
>
> Oracle is still doing well though:
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_winter99/Day2/Keynotes/Oracle.html
>
> Linux booths, 10 years ago:
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_winter99/Day2/Showfloor.html
>
> XFree 4.0 had come out (remember Xfree 3.1/3.2/3.3 or even Xfree 2.1?):
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_winter99/Day3/Conferences/Xfree_4.0.html
>
> Rusty tell us how we should switch to ipchains :)
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_winter99/Day3/Conferences/PacketFiltering.html
>
> The reiserfs vs ext2+journalling extensions:
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_winter99/Day4/Conferences/Reiserfs.html
>
> Random picts:
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_winter99/People.html
>
> 10 years, it went by fast...

Man, thanks for keeping those pages up and posting links, Marc.

It's amazing how much has changed (and what hasn't) in ten years.
YOLOTD has yet to arrive for some (though mine was 1997).  Seeing
Caldera, Corel, Sun, LinuxCare, and VA booths was a trip down memory
lane, some of which was hard to see with a straight face.  It's amazing
who's aged -- Bruce, Art, Sifry, Malda -- and who hasn't -- Maddog &
Carly (of course).  And a few who've passed on -- Leonard Zubkoff, RIP.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten at linuxmafia.com>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten
    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.