[linux-elitists] Spam filters

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Fri Mar 27 19:45:21 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 04:09:41PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ben Finney (bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au):
>
> > In this particular instance, Gerald said ???Reputation systems??? in
> > response to a request for ???an anti-spam panacea???:
>
> Oh, sorry.  Yes, anyone _seriously_ proposing, literally, a single-piece
> cure-all for spam is asking for something of a Bronx cheer.
>
> I'd say reputation systems seem a very promising avenue of attack
> that needs to be added to various other measures.  Objections like
> "But it won't stop a spammer from registering an endless supply of GMail
> accounts" seem a bit clueless.

Conversely, ignoring a common vector for spam because it isn't handled by
your chosen anti-spam method isn't the mark of a clueful person, either.

Yes, reputation systems have their place, as long as you can tie the
reputation to a persistent identity.  I'm not sure what you have against
that statement, but I'd love to find out if you can spare some time from
your busy schedule of frothing.

- Matt