[linux-elitists] Spam filters

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Mar 27 14:30:16 PDT 2009

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> writes:

> Quoting Gerald Oskoboiny (gerald at impressive.net):
>
> > Reputation systems.
>
> Have you noticed that, when you say eminently sensible things like
> "Reputation systems", there's always some clown whose spinal reflex
> forces him/her to say "But [reputation systems or whatever it was
> you mentioned] are not the ultimate, final, single solution to
> spam!", ignoring the fact that you didn't say that

In general, I agree with the observation.

In this particular instance, Gerald said “Reputation systems” in
response to a request for “an anti-spam panacea”:

Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald at impressive.net> wrote:

> * D. Joe <deejoe at etrumeus.com> [2009-03-26 11:58-0400]
>
> > Hiding isn't an anti-spam panacea but, wonderfully enlightening
> > discussions of anti-spam flavor-of-the-month aside, what is?
>
> Reputation systems.

So I think this is one of the (few) cases where it *is* reasonable to
question whether what Gerald suggests is actually an anti-spam
panacea.

--
 \      “Hey Homer! You're late for English!” “Pff! English, who needs |
  `\          that? I'm never going to England!” —Barney & Homer, _The |