[linux-elitists] Spam filters

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 27 09:33:12 PDT 2009

Quoting Gerald Oskoboiny (gerald at impressive.net):

> Reputation systems.

Have you noticed that, when you say eminently sensible things like
"Reputation systems", there's always some clown whose spinal reflex
forces him/her to say "But [reputation systems or whatever it was you
mentioned] are not the ultimate, final, single solution to spam!",
ignoring the fact that you didn't say that -- and then, if you correct
him/her on that point, _demands_ that you convert whatever you said into
the ultimate, final, single solution to spam."

There has to be a way to exile such annoyances to an advocacy newsgroup.

> Here is my recent attempt at doing so, feedback welcome:
> http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/09/11/email_address_obfuscation

Very clear and sensible.  I notice that about 80% of the feedback
comments completely ignore your point, which is about par for the
course.

> http://impressive.net/people/gerald/

Hey, thank you immensely for the W3C HTML Validation Service.  I
officially owe you.