[linux-elitists] Spam filters

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Fri Mar 27 00:42:34 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 03:54:42AM +0000, Jason White wrote:
> Matthew Palmer  <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:
>
> >The difficulty, in my eyes, for a working global reputation system is
> >identity.  If you can just dump a bad identity, then it's no barrier to a
> >spammer.  If you start a new identity at "Evil Spammer" and need to "level
> >up" from there, then bootstrapping is a pain.
>
> DKIM helps to some extent, which is why I have implemented it for my domain
> and my e-mail.

DKIM doesn't do squat to provide identity for the purposes of a reputation
system.  What's to stop a spammer from tasting a million domains a day to
spam through?  How do you deal with the problem of someone from a random
(legitimate) domain getting caught by your reputation system because they
have the same reputation as a random spammer?

- Matt