[linux-elitists] Spam filters

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Mar 26 17:58:53 PDT 2009

begin Matthew Palmer quotation of Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:19:31AM +1100:

> The closest to a functioning reputation system we've got appears to be based
> around IP addresses, which are the best identifier available in the SMTP
> transaction.  It's still a spectacularly bad one, though, as it doesn't
> actually identify the originating actor, both through the "owner" of an IP
> address changing over time, and multiple users sharing an IP address.

We can use SPF to identify a given IP address as an
SMTP sender approved by the owner of example.com. Then
we can use all the reputation around the domain name
as part of a scoring system.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco