[linux-elitists] Proposal: Roster accessible to subscribers

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 26 16:30:27 PDT 2009

Quoting Tilghman Lesher (zgp-org at the-tilghman.com):

> Or Don could simply ignore your request, and you'd be the only one
> pissed off about it (much like you seem to be pissed off that anybody
> would have the gall to disagree with you).

Joining the "you're merely reflecting a character flaw of not being
able to abide disagreement" brigade does have its advantages.  (Is
resemblance to http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#moenslaw-debate1
coincidental?)

> On the whole "Don doesn't deserve to have to do any work at all on a
> list subscriber's behest", that meets the criteria, and it conforms
> with every concern brought up so far.  Seems like win-win, to me.

Sure, inertia has inherent appeal.  That's one reason why I volunteered
to do the approximately ten seconds of work, by the way.

However, your implication that I'm merely asking for a personal favour
is another distortive bit of rhetorical overkill: It's a good thing you
didn't accept the bet (#1 of 2), as the year is yet young.  As stated,
I'm suggesting that Don re-enable a normal bit of useful mailing list
functionality that he shut off at some point in the past.  He will
either concur, or not, at which point we're done.

I note that, so far, zero subscribers appear to have actually said they
object to their addresses being on a subscriber-accessible roster and
that they're unwilling to set the "hide" attribute.  Would you consider
a side-wager on how many of these extremely shy people eventually speak
up, to Don or elsewhere?  (Only people subscribed as of yesterday would
qualify, to exclude manipulation.)  If there's a betting pool, I'll want
to claim "zero".