[linux-elitists] Proposal: Roster accessible to subscribers

Tilghman Lesher zgp-org at the-tilghman.com
Thu Mar 26 15:37:09 PDT 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009 16:54:47 Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Tilghman Lesher (zgp-org at the-tilghman.com):
> > As Joe previously posted, it's on the info page for linux-elitists:
> > "Most are "lurkers", people who do not post to the list. If you are a
> > lurker, your address is confidential."
>
> You evidently are not grasping the concept of "pledge".  So, sorry, no
> $50 for you today -- quote aside from the fact that you did not accept
> the offer.

I had no intention of accepting such an offer, though it seemed clear to
me that we needed to refresh your memory, since you had forgotten what
Joe posted only a few hours previous.

> > But let's alter the bet a bit, and let me suggest a
> > betterment.
>
> Sorry, no.  I'm not entertaining counteroffers at this time, but have a
> great day.

Interesting that you have no qualms about having another judged by a
peer group, but when another suggests that you be given the same
treatment, you are quick to dismiss it.

> > ...needlessly flames somebody for disagreeing with you.
>
> I am sorry to hear about the cognitive problem that impels you to
> confuse expressing a view I think is idiotic with "disagreeing with me".
> You really should have that checked.

I, like many others on this list, have it in my mind that while I certainly
intend to be correct, I have been proven wrong in the past, and it is likely
that will be proven wrong on certain matters in the future.  I have no qualms
with admitting that I am able to make mistakes.  I may or may not think that
your positions are idiotic, but I refuse to paint myself into a corner by
expressing such a narrow-minded view.

Whether you reconsider your blithe attacks on my character is of no concern,
really, to me.  It's more a question of whether, when confronted with evidence
to the contrary, one either modifies one's views to conform, or one suffers a
mental break with reality.

> On a matter somewhat less mired in comedy, let's return briefly to Mr.
> Aidan Van Dyk's notion that "the current membership should all be
> flagged as 'hidden' en masse", which is at least bothering to think
> creatively.  Aidan probably doesn't know it, but this suggestion
> implicitly volunteers Don Marti's time for frobbing the "hide" flag
> to the enabled setting individually for (what I would estimate to be)
> every one of some several hundred existing subscribers.  Personally, I
> am in less of a hurry to create lengthy makework tasks of dubious value
> for friends to carry out.

I believe a script could be fashioned to do this task, if it were not
currently part of the administrative interface.  I suspect I, even with my
scripting skills somewhat dusty, could create the script for Don, should he
make such a request.  I am not above such a task, and I'd consider it an
honor if Don made that request of me.

> Speaking of that:  Would you, Joe, or Aidan consider a wager to the
> effect that all three of you know fsck-all about GNU Mailman?

I probably know enough to be dangerous, which is probably more than you've
warranted by the above statement.

--
Tilghman