[linux-elitists] Selection bias: Re: Proposal: Roster accessible to subscribers

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 26 15:27:27 PDT 2009

Quoting Karsten M. Self (karsten at linuxmafia.com):

> Seems that asking for an on-list discussion of the mater still resents a
> selection bias vis-a-vis participation.

That would be a valid point -- if exactly those people had not been
advised that they're welcome to register their views off-list.

I would suggest that, if nobody but imaginary theoretical persons object
(as to their _own_ subscription data), then several people have done
nothing more than the usual geek craziness of obsessing on hypothetical
boundary conditions.  If, in the alternative, there are as many as, say,
2% of total subscribers who say to Don "I don't like this change, and
I'm not willing to set a radio button", then my more-modest variation on
Aidan's "make work for the listadmin" notion suffices, and everyone
walks away happy.