[linux-elitists] Proposal: Roster accessible to subscribers

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at etrumeus.com
Thu Mar 26 12:42:57 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:23:03PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Aidan Van Dyk (aidan at highrise.ca):
>
> > If Don wants, he can change the policy going forward.  To appeal the
> > theoretical concerns of the "opt-in not opt-out" crowd, the current
> > membership should all be flagged as "hidden" (as described by Rick
> > earlier) en masse, as Don switches the settings for mailman.
>
> This is why all telephone directories are opt-in, because everyone
> understands that being omitted is normal and expected.  Of course!
> Now I get it.

Hmm.  I'd have thought someone in your line would own a cell
phone, and be familiar with the directory policies that commonly
attend them.

But then again, I'd have thought someone proposing, and arguing
at length for, a change in policy would have been familiar with
the current policy to which he wishes to see a change, but in my
manifest stupidity I got that wrong, too.

--
Joe