[linux-elitists] Proposal: Roster accessible to subscribers

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 26 12:02:25 PDT 2009

Quoting D. Joe Anderson (deejoe at etrumeus.com):

>  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=netiquette#offlist
>
> Yeah, yeah, it's not an exact match....

...for values of "not exact match" meaning "not".

You're suggesting explicitly private communication invited as an adjunct
to a mailing list thread, from (theoretical) people who are explicitly
acknowledged to be privacy-shy and wanting to hide their presence,
should be lumped in with suddenly offlist requests for technical help
that veer off without explanation into private mail with no discernable
reason for privacy.

> But, regardless of what you inferred, that's what I had in mind
> when I wrote that.

Here's the real question:  Which of my two alternative courses of action
would be more charitable, for me to assume you're extremely stupid, or
that you're making a feeble but willful attempt at casual libel?  I'll
gladly adopt the interpretation you consider more kind.