[linux-elitists] Proposal: Roster accessible to subscribers

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at etrumeus.com
Thu Mar 26 09:13:21 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:32:27AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> About a week ago, I wrote listadmin Don Marti off-list, suggesting he
> make a change to linux-elitists's list configuration.  His reaction was
> that we should invite comment from subscribers.

It seems pretty clear-cut to me.  Don has made a commitment that
he'll keep subscribers' addresses confidential.

Even if I say it's ok for him to make my address(es) viewable to
other subscribers, I can't relieve him of that commitment on
behalf of other subscribers.

A reasonable way forward would be to set all current
subscriptions to "hide", then change the list description page
to reflect the new policy of revealing the subscribers list to
other subscribers, and then reconfigure the list to show list
member addresses to other list members.

Then, current subscribers can unhide or not, if they want to,
prospective subscribers can decide whether to subscribe or not
based on the new policy, and we can move on into the glorious
future.

--
Joe