[linux-elitists] Eric S. Raymond: "I don't [think] we need the GPL anymore."

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Mar 26 05:37:09 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 12:10 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> OSNews.com has this feature:
>
> http://osnews.com/story/21192/ESR_GPL_No_Longer_Needed

[snip]

IMNSHO, ESR is a pimple infested wart on the ass of "FOSS" when he is
lumped-in/ associated with it.

He isn't one of the 3 Pillars. He isn't, by far, one of the greatest
programmers in history. He has some good ideas, some bad ones, some
laughable ones (like this particular one). Many are expressed in less
than optimal presentation and in-opportune places/times.

I value his views on many things and reference many people to the good
works he has done. There is one thing though; his consistent ability to
shove his shoe leather well down his throat. This gives "propies"
talking points to argue against "FOSS" as not being needed or faulty in
licensing, being poisonous... bringing up "BSD is good enough"...
reminds me of something:

        Brett, oh Brett... wherefore art thine bike shed? YMMV?

If ESR or Brett need to respond to me, I can take it, fire away. I just
add them to my rules and slide the mail into the "when you need to
laugh" folder.

BTW, if you didn't know this I don't believe ESR or Brett Glass are on
this list... of course I can't tell at the moment. ;->
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2