[linux-elitists] Proposal: Roster accessible to subscribers

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Mar 24 00:22:03 PDT 2009

Alan D. Salewski <salewski at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I, too, am open to any of the three settings: Public, Members, ListAdmin

So am I. My prediction is that, given the likely number of subscribers on the
list, someone will object to "public", which may, or may not, be enough to
persuade the list administrator to make it a choice between members and
listadmins. At that point, it could go either way, but the spam argument
becomes less plausible if the list of subscribers can be retrieved only by
members, unless you think it highly probable there's someone on the list who
wants to sell the data to spammers, or you aren't satisfied with the
plain-text password authentication offered by Mailman.

Let's see how well that prediction fares as this thread continues.

Either way, to reiterate, I have no objection to any of the three options
proposed.