[linux-elitists] Proposal: Roster accessible to subscribers

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 23 14:58:05 PDT 2009

Quoting Heather Stern (star at starshine.org):

Hi, Heather!

> I think most people on this list won't bother to use the feature if it
> exists, and folks with that attitude may not give two hoots or a holler
> one direction or the other.

I'm unclear on what "the feature" denotes, in your posting.  Do you refer
to a subscriber-accessible roster?

The three usage scenarios I outlined strike me as common.  (If you think
them uncommon, OK; I am merely unclear on whether this is your view.)
_However_, far more relevant to Don's invitation for comment is whether
anyone has reasonable objections to [re?]-enabling roster access.  That
is an entirely different question, from whether the desire for such
access is common or widely perceived.

You and Greg Folkert seem, in short, to have no such objection.  Noted.
We of course await additional posters' views, too.

> The only question of 'viewable by members' is about whether it's dirt
> easy or cluefully-raised-bar hard to become a subscriber on this list.

Actually, no.  That is not at all the question.  My suggestion did not
address Mailman's subscription process in any way.  It consisted, solely, of
changing roster ACLs, from viewable by listadmin to viewable by members.