[linux-elitists] Framing and 'cyclopedias (was: Fwd: RFC: Freecell Solver Licence "Change")

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Mar 21 08:42:21 PDT 2009

begin Ben Finney quotation of Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:59:14AM +1100:
> Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> writes:
>
> > Wikipedia editors were willing to let "copyright protection
> > technology" stand in quite a few places -- I converted a bunch of
> > that weasel wording to "DRM" with a link to the relevant article,
> > and hope it took.
>
> Well, did it?

Mostly.  A couple of "protect"s sneaked back.
(Of course, it still looks like Rob Enderle wrote his
own Wikipedia entry.  I'm surprised the Apple fanboys
and the Groklawistas haven't had a whack at that one.)

New business model for the 21st
century: Wikipedia writing.
  http://morpheme.wikidot.com/wikipedia-writing-service

(Marketing and PR people have been working on
Wikipedia on the clock as long as there's been a
Wikipedia, but now it's starting to be a separately
billed service.  Progress?)

> > There ought to be a huge posse of digital freedom lovers following
> > "recent changes" to relevant articles, and converting "protect the
> > content" to "restrict the user (or customer)" dagnabit.
>
> Yup. I do my bit every time I see such an article: NPoV means
> “protection” is controversial but “restriction” is only factual
> description. That's my argument anyhow :-)

Another thing to do is replace mentions of
"protection" with links to the [[Digital Rights
Management]] article -- then you're mostly just adding
a helpful link.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco