[linux-elitists] [Meta] Is it now possible to CC other addresses on email to linux-elitists?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Mar 21 00:37:57 PDT 2009

Karsten M. Self <karsten at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

>The only thing that's tempted me is "sup", which is basically Google
>mail as an ncurses application (and no, it doesn't tie w/ Google mail,
>it's a freestandina MUA, though you could use IMAP, I suppose).

I like the concept. I am not familiar with the ferret indexing/search tool
that they're using, however, in particular, whether it implements effective
algorithms for the relevance ranking of search results.

I have noticed, while searching Gmane archives, that Xapian tends to give
reliable rankings. This shouldn't be surprising, since it is based on
information retrieval research:
http://www.xapian.org/docs/intro_ir.html

>On which:  I've been using Gmail for work for the past few months.  It
>sucks less than a lot of other mail clients, but mutt still sucks less.

The right way to use Gmail, if you're going to use it at all (which I prefer
not to do) is over an IMAP connection.