[linux-elitists] Fwd: RFC: Freecell Solver Licence "Change"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 19 14:28:28 PDT 2009

Quoting Dave Walker (DaveWalker at ubuntu.com):

> It would seem more apt to use the WTFPL v2 [0] licence.

Because we love warranty liability, because we love licences so _extremely_
defective that they grant rights only to the licence itself and not to
the work (don't take my word for that; read it again), and because we
love to troll those easily riled up with juvenile and pointless displays
of profanity.

WTFPL is a superb object lesson in why people who don't give a damn about
law and want it to go away are exactly the _wrong_ people to write
software licences -- and why they are best advised to use standard,
well-tested ones that everyone with a clue already knows and understands.

If they shoot at only their own feet, I'd just say "Good, leave 'em to
Papa Darwin" -- but then there are derivative works and redistributors,
who might well get hurt, too.