[linux-elitists] That ol' familiar MUA song

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 19 05:23:40 PDT 2009

Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:12:31AM +0000, Ben Finney wrote:
> >Yeah, but I'm primarily interested in Sieve for it being a
> >mini-language (like Procmail, but much more readable), and being
> >blessed with IETF incense.
>
> Sieve is awesome. I've used a local Cyrus imap server for about 5
> years

I will admit that the proprietary-blob-mailbox nature of Cyrus is what
kept me away from Sieve for a long time. A nice filtering language
isn't enough for me to lose my works-with-just-about-anything Maildir
mailboxes. So, I was waiting for good independent Sieve
implementations in sane-mailbox-using servers.

> to work around the broken-ness of our "enterprise" Exchange server
> IMAP (sigh) and the sieve filtering is something I could not walk
> away from.
>
> If you haven't tried Sieve, do so.

Noted, thank you for the recommendation.

--
 \      “Saying that Java is nice because it works on all OSes is like |
  `\     saying that anal sex is nice because it works on all genders” |