[linux-elitists] That ol' familiar MUA song

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 19 05:18:29 PDT 2009

Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> writes:

> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 10:56 +0000, Adam Sampson wrote:
> [snip]
> > "maildrop" from the Courier project is a procmail clone with less
> > baroque syntax:
> >
> >   if (/^List-Id: .*linux-elitists/)
> >           to "$MAILDIR/.lists.linux-elitists"
> >
> > It's filtered 2,745,547 messages for me over the last five years
> > with no annoyances whatsoever.
>
> I'll agree on maildrop and its nice syntax. I use it most places I
> can. Including with qmail at work.

I looked and liked, but I'm loth to switch from one perfectly
functional tool-specific language to another tool-specific one, when
the latter is less-commonly installed on a random system. If I'm going
to switch at all, I'd prefer to switch to something about which I
could bang a “standards!” drum if it's not installed :-)

> Wooo! Uh... wow. I didn't know Linux Elitists had so much traffic!

Your grammar parser is broken. The referent of “it” in Adam's
utterance is very probably “"maildrop" from the Courier project”, or
possibly “less baroque syntax”, but definitely not the example
recipe.

--
 \       “He was the mildest-mannered man / That ever scuttled ship or |
  `\       cut a throat.” —“Lord” George Gordon Noel Byron, _Don Juan_ |